Thursday, January 19, 2012

Wires and Water

Being something of a small business snob, it's not very often that I brag about things that I find at stores like Home Depot and Lowes.  But, I'm gonna make an exception and do a little promotion for the Irwin Door Lock Installation Kit.

I liked it so much that I even provided a handy-dandy link there for you to check it out!  Some things you feel like you should stumble your way through and figure out for yourself, but I really wasn't looking forward to messing up my handcrafted front door, so I paid the $13 and got one of these kits from Lowes.  Totally worth it.  It comes with the right bits, a jig, a tiny cheap "router bit" that you put on your drill, and some guides.  And so naturally the other good news is... door is now hanging on the front/back of my house!  And, it has a handle and lock!  It feels like a luxury to be able to turn a handle and swing a door open, then pull it shut to keep the wind and leaves out.  But, its a well-deserved luxury at this point.

Of course, I did not accomplish this by myself.  Saturday morning, the Riedel men (my dad and brother David) gathered in Chester and we laid out the plan for running the electrical wires.  Like most people in my generation, I know almost nothing about electricity, so I deferred to my dad.  After making a list, we made the first trip of many to Lowes and purchased wire and bags of one and two "gang" junction boxes.  Apparently, each outlet or switch is considered a gang, which makes me a little more wary of electricity...

David attaching hinges

Dad "the Termite" drilling holes for wiring

By Sunday afternoon we had roughed-in the wires and plumbing, but it was time for my work crew to leave.  My attempts to work solo have almost always ended with me staring at the house in a state of frustration and confusion, but this time my spirit was boosted by the confidence the Irwin Door Lock Installation Kit instilled in me (yet another chance for you to check it out).  I forged on solo, drilling holes in the floor, insulation walls, gluing pipe together, and worked late into the night.  By 7 p.m. Monday night, I had slid my shower stall in and out more times than I could count, poured plaster of paris and chiseled it apart, but my shower was finally in place!  There were some frustrating moments, but I finally felt like I had accomplished something by myself (minus numerous consultations with my dad and brother).  Thank you, Irwin.


  1. Your tiny house looks a lot like my tiny house! Is it a Tarleton? (I'm sure I could look back and see, but I thought I would just ask). It looks great!

  2. Yes it is a Tarleton, and I've been following your all's blog to get some ideas- thanks for the great updates!