Thursday, November 3, 2011

Walls and a Grill

After laying dormant for a couple of weeks under the tarp, I assembled another work crew consisting of myself, my brother David, and my Uncle Jim.  To maximize efficiency, I pre-cut all of the framing material so that we could slap the walls together with a roof on top to achieve some form of weatherization.  Since I've been trying to avoid buying lots of tools that I won't have storage space for (yes, you can read that as "since I'm too cheap to buy anything"), I cut everything by clamping it on the sawhorses board by board and running the Skil-saw through it.  This produced decent cuts, but it did take a little time.

With everything precut and a good amount of carpentry expertise on the team, we were able to assemble the walls fairly rapidly Saturday.  We wanted a level surface to work on, so we used the handy-dandy portable dance floor and laid each wall on top of the last one.



By around 5 p.m. all of the walls were complete, so we huffed and puffed and blew the house...up!



Into place, that is. With three people, it was a manageable task, but I wouldn't want to do it with any fewer.


After cleaning up, we retired to my apartment and grilled some chicken on my brand new Weber Smokey Joe grill (see, I'm not that cheap!).  I'll admit, I seem to forget every time that its best to let the coals burn RED hot for a good while before tossing anything on.  Needless to say, it took a little while for dinner to be cooked, but that gave us plenty of time to savor the complex flavors of some cans of Gennesse Cream Ale!

No comments:

Post a Comment